Video from Let’s Talk Live link – Whoopin’ Up Luck
St. Patty’s Day. Green. Party. Luck. Here are some ways to shamROCK your life and make your own luck.
1. Be Opportunistic – Make things happen in the direction of your dreams. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. There was a man in NYC walking in front of the Plaza Hotel. A passerby shouted out, “Hi Mr. Warren.” He went up to Mr. Buffet and introduced himself. A year later, Warren Buffet purchased the man’s jewelry business, Helzberg Diamonds.
2. Grow the lemons. I’ve been called a “tart” so I really like this tip. Create your life, don’t expect someone else to do it. Some people believe that fortunate people are simply born lucky, when in reality, that’s just a convenient excuse to take it easy, rather than try to exert some control over our destiny. Dr. Anne Davin, Depth Psychotherapist (the study of the soul), held a lecture I attended and she claims that creating great fortune in your life involves more than the saying, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” Her secret to creating a great life: You have to grow the lemons.
While out on the open mic circuit in DC doing stand-up, I realized I would be there a long time before someone noticed me. I have two young kids and between their activities, it isn’t always predictable when I can get out. So I created my own comedy shows, putting other women on the stage who are owning their bad-ass life with humor. No victims allowed. We had five shows last year that played to hundreds of women in cities such as NYC, Bethesda, and Atlanta.
3. Create a “DO BE HAVE” List – Write down your dreams.
Barbara Stanny has a great tool. She is an expert in wealth and abundance and the writer of Secrets of Six Figure Woman
, Overcoming Underearning,
and Prince Charming Isn’t Coming
At her Sacred Success retreat in Baltimore, she asked us to write a DO BE HAVE list. Click on this link for an example: DO, BE, HAVE example
The categories are: Spiritual, Mental, Physical, Vocational, Financial, Family, Social. This exercise provides a mission statement for your life. It helps you get to a place where you can say, “I am a ______ (fill in the blank w/ writer, funmaker, journalist, comedian, etc.)
4. Get involved in risky business – I’m not talking drugs and prostitution. Take chances and ignore the negative inner critic. My inner critic is called Gertrude I put the crap she says in a “mind file” and lock it away. If you hear me yelling at Gertrude to shut up, don’t call social services; I’m having a tough day and am trying to shake it up. A change in routine will allows one to be more creative and open the door for new opportunities.Get out of the regular routine. Stop at a new place for coffee. Go to a dance class. Take flying lessons. Put on your big-girl Raybans and rock’n'roll.
5. Consider yourself lucky. Your mind believes what you think. In a study conducted by Richard Wiseman, PhD writer of book The Luck Factor, researchers placed some money on the sidewalk in the paths of different people—some who claimed to be lucky, and others who considered themselves unlucky. The “lucky” people noticed the money and picked it up; the “unlucky” people walked past the cash. I have a friend who thinks she always gets the best parking spot. She does. I know someone who wins sweepstakes and raffles all the time. Why? They believe they are lucky. How else would a cartooned, little leprechaun attract millions of followers for generations? He believes, “they’re always after me Lucky Charms.”
Recipe for Irish Coffee Cake w/Bailey’s filling Whoopie Pies: Rainbow w/ pot of gold: http://www.marthastewart.com/314060/irish-coffee-cupcakes Fillling:
2 sticks butter, 2 cups powerded sugar, 2 tbs Baileys. Add AIrheads rainbows and Rolo after making clouds with the icing.
Leprechaun legs: Vanilla cake recipe. Buttercream recipe for icing. Lots of green food color. Cut out legs fm template and put in icing, upside down. Add a few chocolate coins. Template:
Rainbow colors: Use white cake recipe Put batter in separate bowls and add food color. Pour into pan one at a time You can also layer if you are making cupcakes.